Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On gas today... and its marketing schema!

So ...it used to be that...
car commercials advertised...
i don't know
that the car was fast
or looked stylish
or was "fun" to drive.
Maybe that it had cargo space,
you know...worthwhile things to know about a car.

Recently, however,
every.single.god.damn car commercial
flaunts the pathetic gas mileage that their cars get
and if its over 30mpg then.. By God they've
performed a MIRACLE for you
and this is the best deal ever.

Now folks,
I drive a humble 2000 Toyota Corolla.
It has 46,000 miles on it (yeah...I really don't...drive very much)
It is nothing special (except that its mine, and is Awesome...)
I run my iPod via ... one of the tape deck thingers
But I've got me some power windows/locks,
good (very good, actually) air conditioning,
and...have Yet to have any service issues.


But the point is that...
my 8 year old car, with its limited bells and whistles

gets 29mpg CITY
and 37mpg HWY!!!!
Here's the window sticker it came with



EIGHT YEARS AGO!!!!

Yet today
people are IMPRESSED when they see comercials
for a car of the Same size...getting... 30mpg???????
In almost a full DECADE
fuel efficiency has gone down????
What the hell is happening?

Maybe they're spending too much time figuring out
how to make a 'silent' interior:
(yeah, this is the one car ad that...doesn't talk about gas,
maybe because its the Corolla,
and they realize that their efficiency has plummeted...)




Really though, the 2009s get 27/35mpg... but still, its lower than 8 years ago.

But the Ford Focus is comparable to the little Corolla
and its latest boast is its 35mpg rating which hey,
its not Bad...but again, my car was better EIGHT YEARS AGO.



And watch out for Honda...



They are leaning SO hard on their pure
statement of "fuel efficient" that they don't even
list the actual mileage of their cars.
We just....trust them, right?



Well,
Sorry Honda, but...my car
STILL beats your brand new Accord and its 31mpg rating


For crying out Loud,
the Ford Festiva IN 1989 (TWENTY YEARS AGO!!!!)
Got 29mpg hwy/26mpg city.
And by 1993 was receiving 35/42mpg ratings!

I'm in no way insinuating that my car
is the greatest gift to man (or woman) in the past 8 years...
I'm just saying...that all of this banter
in commercials today are purely for marketing purposes
and that You should be entirely unimpressed.

And... on a completely different... piss.me.off set of ...crap



....Rarrrh, on YOU hummer.
That's just.. Stupid
Owning an earth destroying hummer sure sounds like fun...

That's all.
I hope you feel better informed and less impressed.
Just wait until I start a rant on SUVs.....

1 comment:

Cycle Ninja said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed. I'll have to lend you my DVD set called Future Car from Discovery Channel some time. I gave my nephew, the car dealership finance director, a copy for Father's Day. And like I told him we need a LOT MORE of these technologies RIGHT NOW (like, say, driving from LA to Denver on 7 gallons of diesel fuel.)