Thursday, September 13, 2007

On a Weekend Almost Already Forgotten

Last weekend I did that MS ride
Remember?
I do.

On a whim I raised a more than sufficient amount of funds
and on a whim I rode my bike some 100miles
in weather that I couldn't have asked to be more perfect.
What a great weekend.

But what did I get out of it?
While I was there...I saw people who had bikes
that they pedaled using just their arms
I saw spectators line the DMACC parking lots
in their wheel chairs
I met a girl, Kelly, who ran the event
whose dad just passed away in December from MS.

And when I was asked what my connection/purpose
for riding that weekend was...
I said...."no connection really... I just heard about it
and decided it would be neat to do."

I made a handful of great new contacts
learned a Lot about MS, which I had NO idea about before
and got in a great bikeride....
Why wouldn't people do it?

People were amazed
and thrilled to find that I was doing it
simply for...good. Just because someone told me about it
and I said "okay, neat"

Maybe...maybe it means more to them
Possibly its an affirmation that they've risen awareness
outside the circle of survivors and of the lost
beyond the realm of those directly affected
and into the hearts of us who have been more fortunate
[in our own extents]
more aware
more educated

For that...
I say ........
Congrats to you National MS Society
because even if I'm the only person
who gained a touch bit more of awareness....
(and I'm sure I'm not)
then ...kudos to even that.
i believe that you've done what you wanted.

1 comment:

Such-Great-Heights said...

Next year, I'm in (me thinks). By then I should be able to do a century.


I'm very proud of you, especially about helping the other guy out.