Friday, September 21, 2007

On a different Obama

dear obama

thank you for being 15 minutes late so i could take upside down
pictures of my friends

and wander around to see the crowd that you gathered

and of course to get my picture with the global warming frosty dude...



thankyou for coming to my school today.
thank you for your 45 minute lecture (because you were 15 minutes late)
on....i hardly remember what...
a lot a bout how we have to have Hope to accomplish anything
and to think hope is naive, is stupid....or something like that.
but .....really......... you didn't connect with me.
You said a Lot about college students and debt
but frankly, by the time you are president, and i am out of school
it will really be too late...I suppose you leave hope for my kids???
You said a lot about the war...and bringing our troops home...
Great. Thankyou. As one of my friends, Davey just came back
from being a medic in Iraq for 4 months
it truly is an Amazing feeling to have someone you know come back
But what do we do with the mess we've created?
What about that?

You said a lot. And you know what.....
they all say a lot...the republicans, democrats, libertarians, independents...green party people
and I think that's the problem.
I need to know what it is you value, and what your plans are
what your vision is and how you will affect me.....
And I'm sure someone asked "what will you tell the
audience when you go visit this university?"
The problem is that you answered that with your 45 minute schpeel...
when you should have answered
"The problem is that we all feel like we need to tell people something,
maybe I should listen"
Maybe you should start with
"what I'm hearing from you is This"
"what I'm hearing from them is This"
"what do you think?"
"What I'm hearing is that you want this, and you want this,
two different things, but I hear them both, what can we do to compromise?"
Tell me that you're hearing me.
No, not just hearing me, that you're Listening to me.
Don't BORE me
with your speech that you've
probably given at every other campus
with your skillz you learned in communications class
on going steady steady, SAY SOMETHING MOTIVATING!
steady steady, blah blah, SOMETHING THEY'LL CLAP FOR BUT DON'T KNOW WHY!
Good. I'm glad you're charismatic.
I don't want to hear that you're different
that you have a different agenda
I want you to BE different.
You were well spoken today, but not any different than any of the others.

No comments: