Sunday, May 4, 2008

On Graduating

It just REALLY sunk in the other day
that I'm going to graduate.
Not even just graduate,
but from a great school,
with an awesome degree,
in something I really enjoy,
and with a pretty saweeet portfolio...

It wasn't long ago (four years) that I was sitting in an auditorium
listening to people talk about student loans,
about the academic atmosphere of a University.

I remember going through this same routine in between...
elementary school and middle school,
middle school to high school...
and of course now i'm hearing it about this transition into grad school.

But these transitions have never really phased me
I've gained confidence in the fact that...I will adapt.
On top of that, these conversations/preachings we are given
remind me of ...how unbelievably lucky I am.

There were always sections of the lectures that tell us that
__% of you won't go to college,
for those of you who do
__% will drop out in your freshman year
for those of you still there
__% will switch majors and/or transfer to a different school
__% of you balh blah blah

But alas, here I am. ...somehow.
And I could name off probably 50 other percentages explaining why
...why the odds are against one such as myself, but I'll spare you.

And really,
I've never given credit to it before
(especially since I'm just going to grad school, anyway)
but... that degree,
that little piece of paper.
Its actually kind of cool.
Well...the paper isn't, what it represents is what's cool.

And I don't know Exactly what it means
and its not like I ...can suddenly teleport
or fly or something cool once I get it.

But hey!
Its mine.
And it can't be taken away...

And that's pretty...settling.

2 comments:

Such-Great-Heights said...

That little piece of paper is more than _% of what others in the world could ever hope to have in opportunity and privledge.

Revel in it...and give to others with it.

I am SO proud of you, little one.

Cycle Ninja said...

Here's the only statistic that counts: You 100% deserve it.

I have something for you for the party. Uh, there WILL be a party, right?