Friday, February 8, 2008

On Rising Above

why do we have to "rise above"?

I remember a Grey's Anatomy episode where miranda
had to remind herself over and over that she is
"rising above"



It was something like
"A person can only rise so high. Now I'm rising above, but there's a ceiling and I'm about to hit it"
and
"I'm rising above. I'm rising above and do not want to be crossed while I'm busy rising."

They were some of the most memorable quotes I think from Grey's
and...today......

Today I was rising above

Group projects are hard.
Its rare that you get a group where everyone
wants to pull the same weight but its pretty fantastic when that happens.

When that doesn't happen, all one can do is....rise above.

But why?
Why the hell not call the group members out on it?
The mature and "grown-up" thing to do is to understand that it was a group effort
and fingers can't/shouldn't be pointed because it was everyone's duty to get things done
and done well.

Today we had another group presentation for the grad program campaign
I put the files together, compiled the MoodBoards, sent them to the group





the group was to send me their done files by 7:30pm last night.
So I could print the final board of our designs that night.
I got one at 11:30pm and one at 8:30am....... this morning.
With our presentation at 9am.
The group member who sent his at 8:30...was supposed to print the boards
(which I had sent out at 3pm yesterday)
He didn't print them. (he worked last night, HE [FUCKING] WORKS FOR PRINTING...)
My assumption that this wouldn't get done was correct
so that I showed up at 8:15 instead of 8:50 as usual...was lucky.
However no one had compressed their files they sent me
And file compression + print spooling + lines = ....we were late.
We ended up hooking my computer up to a big-ass TV to give our presentation.
And at the end a grin from troy of "yeah, and if you had compressed the files before sending to print"


......And that was my moment to......rise above?

Gah
its not even that big of a deal
people need to just...be as dedicated as I am and it would all be fine.

;)
I'm kidding.



in other news...
and for your entertainment
I feature for you
betty the cat:




2 comments:

Cycle Ninja said...

Fuck rising above, this ass hat deserved a low blow.

Oh, and I figured out why cats lick their butts all the time. They're delicious!

Kidding, Mickey, only kidding.

Kris said...

Rising above...easier said than done. But good for you in this context.