Monday, February 4, 2008

On process process process

Design...
design is like... life.

Its this big neverending process
and when you start off
one of the most detrimental things that can happen to a design
is...
assuming that you know what you want it to look like before its finished

For a most recent project of mine,
a storytelling project,
I began with simple pencil sketches...to get the ideas out there
then said "okay, I will illustrate this pop-up book with colored pencils!"
...After an 14"x17" half-colored spread was finished...
I went out and picked up some water colors...
another spread later...
Still not quite right
In fact...i downright am awful with water color when
trying to make things that look...realistic...
I'll save it for texturing.

But pulling everything I had learned together (especially the mistakes...)
I'm finding that... my little illustrated story book is coming along quite nicely.



Sure, our little friend Arlo on the bike still needs some help
and nah, the shading isn't there Yet...
and I haven't even begun to tackle the mechanics of it becoming an actual 'pop-up' book.
Oh, aaand excuse the color/detail lost with the low rez jpg in RGB mode....

But I think that, like life,
the process is really the most exciting part.
I honestly ...don't have much of any idea
what the next few spreads of the book will look like
but I know what I want within them
I know the characters I need
I somewhat have my color scheme and style

...I think I'm set. no?


Stay tuned for more!!


-------------------

In other design practices of the past week

my proposal for propoganda class...
the cords should look familiar from my banner...
It was originally a concept for a Youth & Energy thing
but...the enginerds fell short
So I made it my banner
and...am taking it even further to this idea.
However...with 7 of us bringing ideas to the table
I'm sure the end result will look absolutely
nothing like this,
but ......process is fun.


----------------

I'm hungry.

1 comment:

Such-Great-Heights said...

I like being able to see the process every couple of days, especially when you actually say "hey, want to see what I am working on?" Neato.

You make a good point with the process stuff....maybe I am being too "me" in the sense that I am not letting go enough with my painting because I keep thinking "I want it to look like this picture" or whatever...instead of just trying to get what is in my head out there.

Two Harbors...that is what is in my head.